The Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program is held at the University of Toronto and was created to recognize international students who displayed exceptional academic achievement and creativity and are recognised as leaders within their school. Much emphasis is placed on the impact the student has had on the life of their school and community, and their future potential to contribute positively to the global community.
The University of Toronto is a public research university in Toronto, Ontario, Canada on the grounds that surround Queen’s Park. It was founded by royal charter in 1827 as King’s College, the first institution of higher learning in Upper Canada. Originally controlled by the Church of England, the university assumed its present name in 1850 upon becoming a secular institution.
The university’s campus is located in the residential neighbourhoods of St. George and Mississauga. The university operates six faculties at its three campuses and offers cross-faculty academic programs and degrees in social sciences; humanities; science and engineering; health sciences; medicine; business; music, dance, and art; law (in conjunction with Osgoode Hall); pharmacy; veterinary medicine (in association with the Western College of Veterinary Medicine); architecture, landscape and design; and rehabilitation sciences.
Today, U of T is one of Canada’s largest universities with more than 90,000 students enrolled every year across three campuses: St. George Campus (downtown), Scarborough Campus (east end) and Mississauga Campus (west end).
The university has been continuously ranked as one of the top 10 universities in Canada, and it has produced some notable alumni, including former Canadian prime minister John Diefenbaker and American actor Christopher Plummer (who studied at UofT but did not graduate). You can also check the financial aid for international students in Canada.
Brief Description of the Lester B. Pearson Scholarship Program
Host Country: Canada
Host Institution: The University of Toronto, Canada
Level/Course of Study: Undergraduate programme offered at the University
Number of Awards: About 37 students will be selected as Lester. B. Pearson Scholars Annually
Eligible Countries: International students from around the world, including international students studying at Canadian high schools.
Worth of Scholarship: The scholarship will cover tuition, books, incidental fees, and full residence support for four years.
Application Deadline: November 30, 2022
To be eligible to apply for the Lester B. Pearson Scholarship, candidates must be:
- an international student (i.e. a non-Canadian requiring a study permit);
- currently in your final year of secondary school or have graduated no earlier than June 2022
- beginning your studies at the University of Toronto in September 2023 (students already attending post-secondary studies cannot be considered; students starting their studies in January 2023 at another post-secondary institution cannot be considered)
Method of Application for the Lester B. Pearson Scholarship
In order to apply, candidates are required to:
- Receive a nomination from your school (High schools not already contacted/verified are asked to submit an application to participate in our program, available here. (external link))(external link)
- Apply to study at the University of Toronto(external link) to begin your studies in 2023 and complete your application for admission by the appropriate deadlines(external link). Please be advised that you will be considered for the Pearson Scholarship for your first choice of the program at U of T. You may apply for several programs and may receive admission to them all; however, the Pearson Scholarship, if awarded to you, would be restricted to your first choice of the program at U of T at the time our scholarship decisions are made.
- Once we’ve received a nomination and you’ve applied to the university, you can complete the online Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship application.
Application Deadlines for Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship:
- School nomination deadline: November 30, 2022
- Student OUAC application deadline: December 14, 2022 (Please note this is the final date to submit an application to the OUAC; however, it is recommended you apply for admission through the OUAC before November 7, 2022, as spaces in programs fill up quickly and popular programs may close early.)
- Student scholarship application deadline: January 16, 2023
For more information on how to apply, visit the official scholarship website below.